About London Stock Exchange
1698 – Jonathan’s Coffee House.
John Castaing publishes a list of currency, stock and commodity prices at Jonathan’s Coffee House. It includes prices for gold, ducats, silver staters and pieces of eight.
1773 – The move to Sweeting’s Alley.
A more formal club known as ‘New Jonathan’s’ or ‘The Stock Exchange’ opens in Sweeting’s Alley. The building had a frontage of about 35 feet with a dealing room on the ground floor and a coffee room on the first. The occupation of the new building was the earliest manifestation of a formalised, though not yet regulated, stock exchange… Continue reading about London Stock Exchange here.