About Banco Santander, S.A.
On 15 May 1857, Queen Isabella II of Spain signed a Royal Decree authorising the incorporation of Banco Santander – initially to facilitate trade between the Port of Santander, in northern Spain, and Latin America.
Between 1900 and 1919, we doubled the size of our balance sheet, increased our capital to 10 million pesetas, and raised our revenue (posting nearly half a million pesetas in earnings in 1917), with above-average profitability for a Spanish credit institution at the time. The same period saw the founding of the three large Spanish banks that would be integrated into Banco de Santander: Banco Hispanoamericano (1900), Banco Español de Crédito (1902) and Banco Central (1919).
The period from 1919 to 1939 was crucial. In 1923, we moved our headquarters to the Paseo de Pereda building in Santander; we founded Banco de Torrelavega; and we set up a modest network of branches both in the province of Cantabria (the first of them, in El Astillero, in 1923) and elsewhere (Espinosa de los Monteros, Lanestosa and Osorno, in 1924)… Continue reading about Banco Santander, S.A. here.
Go directly to Banco Santander, S.A. online banking.