About Wallis Bank
Settlement in the Wallis area began in the late 1830s. In 1880 when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway built a spur from Galveston to Temple, circumventing Houston, the community became known as Wallis Station and later Wallis, after a rail company executive. As the population grew with new residents and businesses, the community’s need for a bank became apparent.
January 10, 1906, a group of Wallis citizens organized Wallis State Bank. The original organizers and directors were D. N. Harris, F. D. Brandt, L. Tillotson, J. H. Thompson, J. F. Walters, W. A. Matthaei, J. W. Johnston, C. J. Dabney, and R. W. Guyler. The first president of the bank was D.N. Harris, with a total of 13 presidents over the past 100 years. Two of the original organizers, Dabney and Guyler, later served as presidents of the bank. J. F. Esterak was elected president in 1932 and served until his retirement in 1967. His length of service, 31 years, is the longest of the 13 presidents. Theo Viaclovsky advanced to the presidency in 1964 and served until 1978. The flagpole in the front of the main bank building was erected in his memory by members of his family… Continue reading about Wallis Bank here.
Go directly to Wallis Bank online banking