About First Merchants Bank
First Merchants Bank was originally known as the Merchants National Bank of Muncie, Indiana and it was organized during the Panic of 1893 by a group of service-minded businessmen who recognized a need in their community and acted to fulfill that need. Spearheaded by Hardin Roads, a former successful wholesale grocer, the enterprising men invested capital of $100,000. This was the only time it was necessary to raise capital through outside sources. First Merchants Bank has survived panics, depressions, and wars to become the leading financial institution in East Central Indiana.
There have been four homes for the main office of First Merchants Bank. The original bank was in a room at the northeast corner of Main and Mulberry streets, then known as the Little Block. Proof that the businessmen had been right in recognizing the need for banking services in Muncie was visibly demonstrated in 1904 when space requirements dictated a move to larger quarters across the street, to the northwest corner of the same intersection, in what was known as the Neely Block. Ten years later in 1914, the bank was established in its own “new” building at Jackson and Mulberry streets… Continue reading about First Merchants Bank here
Go directly to First Merchants Bank online banking